Thursday, May 04, 2006

OPEN SOUCE ON COMMERCIAL STAND

Source: Slashdot

Came across this interesting discussion thread on "How Has Open Source Helped You Commercially?". The crux of the thread is "Have you, personally, ever benefited from having the source code to your project freely available and downloadable, instead of being kept under lock-and-key? Have you ever fixed a bug in your spare time? Have you ever sought outside help (providing source code snippets) on a particularly nasty problem?"

My Take:As always, I have an inclination towards Open Source and its value to the community. From my perspective and little experience, more than helping me with ways for finding solutions at work, it has definitely helped me develop ability to understand the work of code hackers, a sense of motivation to write code on similar lines and finally the desire to contribute my own work to the open source community.

Category:

No comments: